Friday, December 2, 2011

Good News and Good Food.

Ciao! I officially have two remaining weeks of my study abroad experience here in Firenze. It's a really bittersweet time for me, and I think a lot of my friends are sharing the same sentiments. We all are sad that this is coming to a close, but certain things about Italian living are starting to get under our skin. When we were first adjusting in the beginning, things like the horrible internet connection, the lack of a shower with good water pressure at any point in time, and the fact that you can't have more than one thing turned on without the power going off made us long for home. However, in the middle, we adjusted, and all of these things just became a part of every day life. You can tell that we are now reverting back to our frustrations in the beginning. When the internet goes out, annoyed grunts are heard throughout the apartment. When someone comes out of the shower, they have a look of disgust and anger on their face because it took them twenty minutes to wash their hair since the shower head decided it would be hilarious to send the water out in a single, trickling stream for half the time. It's actually really funny how our attitudes are changing the closer we get to being home (and the bigger workload for school and finals approaching aren't helping either). I'm still loving Italy, though, and even though I haven't seen as much of Europe as I'd like, I've seen many of Italy's major beautiful cities and really made it around to a lot of cool places.

As for the title, my good news is actually something related to my return to Marist in January. I was elected to be the Public Relations Manager for Marist College Dance Ensemble last night for my senior year! I am beyond thrilled. Dance ensemble has become an integral part of my college experience, and I honestly couldn't think of a better group to have joined my very first semester of freshman year. I've choreographed three different times, and the fact that I now have the opportunity to contribute and lead even further makes me beyond happy. I'll be practicing for my future career field and doing what I love. You really can't ask for much more than that. I found out this morning and have been in the best mood all day. I'll be starting my shadow period next semester before taking over next year. This just gives me another reason to look forward to getting back to the states. :) Thanks to everyone who voted for me!

And as for the good food, I'm talking about a little field trip I just returned from for my cooking class here in Florence (yes, I get credit for it). We got to go to San Gimignano, a beautiful area in the Tuscan countryside. Unfortunately, it was in the evening, so I didn't get any pictures of the stunning landscape, but I definitely enjoyed the farm we visited. It was so rustic and quaint and was exactly what I pictured the countryside to look like. The buildings were all stone with vines and flowers climbing the walls. A little dog was running around was we walked through the area. We first went down into the wine cellar to just take a look around and see the giant barrels that the wine is made in. We then went upstairs in one of the buildings to a giant dining area that was just as adorable as the outside and were treated to a meal of local specialties made right at the farm itself. We tasted two kinds of wine, a red and a white (well, I only had 2 sips of the white. You know me.), and the olive oil that was pressed fresh the day before. Words cannot even describe the deliciousness that was that olive oil. It was poured over perfectly toasted bread, and I seriously wish I had way more room in my suitcase. That would have been a great gift to bring home! There was also some bread with gorgonzola cheese that was divine as well. You know those Italians and their carbs...but I can't say I hate it even a little bit. After our meal, we walked around the farm, checked out the shop, then got on the bus back to Florence.


 Drool.
 The dining room!

I'm currently sitting at home and relaxing. Tomorrow will most likely be spent studying for my first written final on Monday and being lame, but there is a distinct possibility that I will also be visiting the Christmas markets that are taking place at Santa Croce across the city. I've heard nothing but good things. The whole city is decked out in lights and Christmas decor, and even though I'm not a city girl, it's kind of making me one. Look for my next post about my final few weeks. :)

Favorite. <3 This was on Thanksgiving when the building was just being lit in Piazza Della Repubblica!

No comments:

Post a Comment